What is Collagen and why is it important? Collagen is the foundation of connective tissue that supports skin structure; making it essential for younger looking skin. After age 35 collagen production naturally begins to slow down. Naturally occurring enzymes which cause collagen break-down begin to win the race. A decrease in collagen causes skin to thin, lose fullness and form wrinkles. Sun damage, pollution, free radicals and smoke also contribute to the disintegration of collagen.
Good news: In addition to good skin care products, medical lasers, Vitamin A and fillers, you can boost collagen production through your dietary intake. Using a combination of these actions is important for younger looking skin.
Some foods that can help you to boost and maintain your collagen production include:
- Fish – creates stronger cells. Sources such as tuna and salmon are loaded with Omega 3 fatty acids. Having healthy cells supports the structure of your skin.
- Red vegetables – help with skin protection. Plants such as red peppers, beets and tomatoes, contain the antioxidant Lycopene which acts as a natural sunblock protecting your skin.
- Dark green vegetables and citrus fruits – are rich in vitamin C which revs up collagen production. Topical products containing vitamin C have anti-oxidizing properties which stabilize harmful enzymes that break down collagen. Vitamin C protects against free radicals which weaken collagen. So eat that spinach and be sure to apply a good, stabilized, Vitamin C product purchased from your local spa.
- Orange vegetables – restore and regenerate. Carrots and sweet potatoes are rich in Vitamin A which restore and regenerate damaged collagen.
- Berries – contain compounds that destroy free radicals. Blueberries and raspberries are a great food source that can help to eliminate free radicals and simultaneously increase collagen levels.
- Protein – sources such as egg whites are high in both lysine and proline thereby aiding collagen production.
- Oysters – are naturally rich in zinc which is an essential element of the collagen building process and they’re full of vitamins and minerals including iron and B12.
A healthy and varied diet containing these nutritious and delicious foods will not only help you feel better but look better too!
If you’re looking to boost your skin’s collage with services, we recommend Micro-Needling Skin Rejuvenation, Intense Pulsed Light Treatment, the Ultrasonic Facial and/or the Pixel Perfect Erbium Laser, all available through our Beach Plum Spa and Med-Spa. Call to schedule a free consultation with one of our highly-trained Nurses or Medical Aestheticians to determine which service is best suited to you. Along with these services, we recommend using Biopelle Retriderm and a high quality Vitamin C serum, both available in our Spas and online.